Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Titan Towing / Hauling
 Nissan Titan Forums : Titan Towing / Hauling
Subject Topic: towing with the titan Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bgdggr1

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 16 2004 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote bgdggr1

I hope Austin_Z_dude's post is not going to be a common thing.  I just bought a 21' Toy Hauler.  I drove it about 150 miles home and when I got there, the inside of my cab smelled like propane.  I thought what the hell can smell like propane.  So I disconnected the trailer and immediately took it to the dealer and found out that I burned up my rear differential.  The paint had burned completely off and the lube was pitch black.  My trailer is rated at 5500 emtpy....and it was dry.  Give or take a couple hunred pounds...I dont think the manufacturer weighs the trailers off the line individually.  The weird thing about all this is that the trans & temp gauges did not fluctuate at all.  It pulled it just fine going up and down some pretty big hills.  I honestly think it was a problem with my adjustment of my brake controller though.  I think I had adjusted it to the point where the brakes were always on on the trailer.  So I think I was dragging it down the road.  The reason I think this is because 1: I am a newbie and 2: when parking it for storage, the trailer was squealing like there were no pads on it.   Thank god it is under warranty. 

By the way...I have a SE w/Big Tow Package.

Back to Top View bgdggr1's Profile Search for other posts by bgdggr1

Austin_Z_dude

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2004 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Austin_Z_dude

I appreciate Mitch's loyalty to Nissan regarding his comments comparing Nissan and Dodge trucks but they aren't realistic.  To say that the Dodge 2500 is inferior in every regard besides towing capacity denies the proven track record of the Cummins Turbo Diesel drivetrain.  While the Titan is obviously getting very good reviews here, it is still in it's first year and is as of yet unproven for the long term.  BTW, my truck is a 2004 2500SLT 2x4 Cummins TD with tow package and a few other options.  Sale price price was just under 31K.  That is 1K more than my Titan cost me.  To be fair, there was a $2500 rebate on the Dodge.

Mitch

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2004 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mitch

The only thing the Dodge has going for it is the Cummins Turbo Diesel because its not built by them. Yes the engine is damn good and will out last every thing on the the truck that is for sure. I was a mechanic and the USAF and worked on all American brands and would never own any American truck because of it. Good Luck

1960 Resto Custom Bug (BOOSTED) 0-60 in 4.0
Back to Top View Mitch's Profile Search for other posts by Mitch Visit Mitch's Homepage

Mitch

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2004 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mitch

I smell a troll.

A way less equiped Ram 2500 ST (plain jane work truck) crew cab with a Cummings 4x2= 31K after rebate

A Titan XE 4x2 with big tow with a lot more standard features (you can't get a big tow in the SE) = 27K after rebate

Back to Top View Mitch's Profile Search for other posts by Mitch Visit Mitch's Homepage

RHINO
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2004 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote RHINO

Good luck when you go to sell that Dodge, nobody buys them.

As for towing, my TITAN has towed nearly every mile I have driven it. I did not even have 300 miles when I first hooked it up. My tow is between 5-6000 lbs and I run about 80mph.  The only problem I have, is a-holes going slow in the passing lane.  You should have let Nissan make it right, rather than taking an arse whipping trading for a  Dodge. Good luck!

New Orleans 'The Big Easy'
04 Titan SE KC
Off Road
Radiant Silver
Tinted
Nissan seat covers
more to come.......
Back to Top View RHINO's Profile Search for other posts by RHINO

Austin_Z_dude

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2004 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Austin_Z_dude

I'm not sure what "I smell a troll" means, but I don't think it's complimentary :)  That is actually the second time Mitch has questioned my authenticity.  Just for accuracy, my truck is an SLT.  The only reason I mentioned the price was because Mitch put it at 40K.  BTW, the SE is absolutely available with a big tow.  I'm trying to be nice here but I do see a need to defend myself from your indirect accusations that I'm a fraud of some sort.  Since the term "discussion forum" implies bi-directional communication, how about you take my comments at face value and just rebut them as your own experience would allow.  I think that I've already established I'm a pretty big fan of Nissan.

I think comparing the two trucks is somewhat foolish since there isn't a truck by Nissan in the same class (please take that literally, as in: doesn't have a 3/4 entry in the market).  I would have to be niave to say that historically Nissan's quality record is anything other than exceptional.  Especially compared to Dodge.  Unfortunately, once my confidence was shaken on my Titan and I decided to compensate with towing capacity, I had precious few choices.

Austin_Z_dude

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2004 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Austin_Z_dude

Rhino,

You are probably right and I would have loved nothing better than to have not taken such a bath on the deal.  There were a lot of things I liked about my Titan.  Clearly, my experience is in the gross minority.  Hopefully, resale will not be an issue because I believe you are also correct there.  Just out of curiosity, if you were buying a 3/4 ton pickup, what would you buy?  I was going to buy a F250, but a got a case of sticker shock.

RHINO
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2004 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote RHINO

Austin,

The biggest difference I see is technology.  The TITAN and Fords 1/2 ton trucks represent cutting edge for the segment.  The frame, suspension, transmission and interiors are newly designed.  They both have pros and cons and it ultimately comes down to preference of the buyer and what is most important to them.

As for 3/4 ton trucks, I have no idea on pricing nor have I driven one. I would guess I would go with the new GMC 2500 HD with the quad steer and 6.0 engine. It's really kind of hard to say without researching and driving. In your situation though, I would have made Nissan get it right, and then would have given the TITAN to the wife....  and got me something else..  

New Orleans 'The Big Easy'
04 Titan SE KC
Off Road
Radiant Silver
Tinted
Nissan seat covers
more to come.......
Back to Top View RHINO's Profile Search for other posts by RHINO

Mitch

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2004 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mitch

I would make Nissan fix it till its fix, no and ifs or buts. We have a lemon law in Colorado so if it wasn't fix over so many tries you would get a new Truck or you money refunded in full. I think its the dealer not the truck failing you! If they need to replace the entire rear axle that’s what they should do to make it right. I personally and most here would not throw money away by taking a lose on the Titan and that what makes me question your motives.

You said a second loaner truck did the same meaning it was not isolated? A vague statement saying my rear end burned up gives no insight to the problem anyway. It could be any number of parts that failed! Yes, I only believe about 10% of what I read on the net.

Austin_Z_dude

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 26 2004 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Austin_Z_dude

For someone who's such a stickler for good information, you pass a lot of bad.

1)  All Jayco trailers are greater than 6K (or whatever your number was)

2)  New Dodge truck = 40K

3)  Big tow not available in SE package

Perhaps you are the plant in here trying to discredit anyone who is doing anything other than raving about your truck.

Anyway, I've said my piece and appreciate the good parts of this thread.  Mitch,  I'm sure you have a last word for me....get after it.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version