Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

General
 Nissan Titan Forums : General
Subject Topic: Best Break In Procedure? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Navi

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 01 2005 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote Navi

I turned 200miles on the Odometer today.
When test driving it, and well some yesterday, I got on it a few times kinda hard to see how much power it had.
Now, Im gonna baby it of course for a while.

Whats the BEST procedure to break in the motor right?
Like, when to change the oil the first time. What oil to use for the first change, the second, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure this motor lasts me a long while!
Back to Top View Navi's Profile Search for other posts by Navi Visit Navi's Homepage

BuyDell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 01 2005 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote BuyDell

I have ALWAYS changed the oil on a new car or truck at the first 1000 miles...Not sure if it's overkill or not, I just do it and I usually put close to 200,000 miles on my vehicles

bigbear05
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 01 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote bigbear05

I thinks it's really up to the individual. I researched this topic on some other forums when I bought mine and I heard everything from "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, IT'LL HELP SET THE RINGS!!" to "DON"T GET OVER 4500RPM FOR THE FIRST 3000 MILES" and "CHANGE THE OIL AT 1000 MILES". Myself, I just drove it like normal, no real hot-rodding or anything. Went and changed the oil at 2500 miles, been changing it at every 3000 miles and no troubles. So it really seems like whatever you think would be best. Drive it like normal or drive it like you never came back after the test drive. Its up to you.

04 Nissan Titan SE KC

Mods:
K&N Drop-in
Flowmaster 40 series exhaust
Firestone Destination A/T's
Aftermarket Hitch

Back to Top View bigbear05's Profile Search for other posts by bigbear05

pied_piper
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 02 2005 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote pied_piper

Gotta agree with bigbear. I didn't "baby" it, but I didn't try to overdue it either. The first day I had it, I was doing 80-85 on the highway, but never jumped on the gas anywhere else till my first oil change, 3000 miles. So it's up to the individual. And my opinion on type of oil: Motor oil is motor oil, just keep it changed.
Back to Top View pied_piper's Profile Search for other posts by pied_piper

bigbear05
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 02 2005 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote bigbear05

pied_piper wrote:
Gotta agree with bigbear. I didn't "baby" it, but I didn't try to overdue it either. The first day I had it, I was doing 80-85 on the highway, but never jumped on the gas anywhere else till my first oil change, 3000 miles. So it's up to the individual. And my opinion on type of oil: Motor oil is motor oil, just keep it changed.

Exactly on the motor oil. You are probably buying the same oil, just a different name. But I do use Valvoline. Because people who know, use Valvoline.

04 Nissan Titan SE KC

Mods:
K&N Drop-in
Flowmaster 40 series exhaust
Firestone Destination A/T's
Aftermarket Hitch

Back to Top View bigbear05's Profile Search for other posts by bigbear05

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 03 2005 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote tda3

The engines in most modern vehicles are "run-in" at the factory to some degree, so a formal break-in like one would do with a motorcycle is not really required.  However, the reciprocating parts in an engine do need some time to settle in so I wouldn't recommend placing big loads on the engine like full throttle starts or towing for about the first 500 miles or so.  It's also a good idea for the first 500 miles not to get out on the interstate and lock the cruise in at 70mph for two hours.  Personally, two or three trips to work & back is a pretty good way of breaking in your engine.  Stops & starts, heat cycling, acceleration, coast-down....all these are present in a typical trip to work.

I too come from that old school and change my oil at 1K miles.  After that, I follow my Dad's plan of every 5K miles.  Why 5K?  Because it's easier for my feeble brain to remember 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. than to think in multiples of 3 - i.e. 3, 6, 9, 12, etc.

Tom

Kevante

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 05 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Kevante

as long as you don't keep the same speed and no criuse control for the first 500 miles. Drive as you wish just vary the speed.

sonnytimes

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 05 2005 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote sonnytimes

I have to agree with the other guys. I do the same. As far as the factory, I work at a Michelin tire plant and got the opportunity to spend some time in a Honda plant in OHIO. That was awesome!! As far as the manufacture going easy on them,NOT. Once they put the engine in and started it up, It only idled for 1 or 2 minutes. Then someone got in and drove (not easy either) it to a Dyno tye thing where they ran it to 30mph then 60mph for a few seconds. Then Jammed on brakes to test the anitlocks. Before the Dyno read 0mph they threw it into reverse and ran it for a second or two. After that it went to another line for finnishing touches. When It left the last line it was pedal to the metal then through a test course outside. They never rawhided them but they were not by any means "easy". That was a coool experience!   

04 Crew Cab 4X4 Big Tow 05 Bed 05 Rearend
Back to Top View sonnytimes's Profile Search for other posts by sonnytimes

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 07 2005 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote tda3

You should see how Mercury Racing seats the rings in a Champ Boat 2.5L V6 powerhead.

A load wheel (round disc with small verticle plates) is attached to the gear case to simulate a prop load.  Engine is started and allowed to idle for maybe 30 seconds or just long enough to see that water is circulating through the engine.  Throttle is then blipped a couple of times and then,

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WFO it goes for 10 to 15 seconds.  Back to idle, blip it twice, and shut it off.  Rings seated.

Made me cringe.

Tom

titantough
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote titantough

Best break in procedure...Drive it like you stole it. Run it hard and put it away wet. Any other break-in BS is just that...BS

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version