Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Brake Issues Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Okilany

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 29 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Okilany

Hi everyone,

As TDA3, I also work in the Aerospace industry and understand the design issues; my titan went in to day to have the rotors replaced and new brakes under warranty.

And just like shogun_316 I dint had any problems until little over 13k mi then went down quick. I’ll let you guys know how my baby came out of the shop.
Back to Top View Okilany's Profile Search for other posts by Okilany

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 30 2005 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote tda3

Well guys - here's a bit of information that ought to irritate you.....

When I dropped off my truck this past Monday, my service writer (you know....the cute one ) showed me a memo from Nissan concerning the new rotor replacement process.  In a nutshell, it directs the dealership to replace the rotors with the new design items ONLY AFTER the vehicle has had the other TSB work done to it twice.  IOW, if you are taking in your Titan for the first time, expect the dealership to turn your rotors, install new pads and send you on your merry way.  NO NEW ROTORS FOR YOU TODAY LAD!

Apparently, Nissan is doing this in order to prevent a "run on the bank", if you will, and depleat their stock of new rotors.  Now, whether your dealership will tow the line as directed by this memo, remains to be seen.  I know my dealer is going to bat for me and insisting that I get new rotors.  My service writer thinks this directive stinks and so do I.

You know....it's one thing to get a black eye because of a design issue.  Hell - I can deal with that.  But telling a customer, "Yeah we've got the new parts that will fix your problem once & for all, but I can't give them to you because you have to go through two rotor turnings first" is BULL !  What public relations idiot would do such a thing?  Hell....why not just run a TV commercial saying "We at Nissan don't give a crap about you.  Go buy a Ford/Dodge/Chevy."  Wouldn't that be just as affective?

I'm trying to hang in there Nissan and give you the benefit of the doubt.  But right now you're not exactly my pal.

Tom

tweety

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 30 2005 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote tweety

Got the same story today.

My guess is that they are getting flooded with people like me running in to get them replaced 'before' there is a problem and they (Nissan) can't keep up with the demand for the new parts.

It's almost worth going out and buying aftermarket bits.

Back to Top View tweety's Profile Search for other posts by tweety

shyster

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Apr 01 2005 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote shyster

We all know now that the brakes for the Titan and Armada are under-engineered. Nissan knows this and has come out with an improved rotor, pads and caliper. However, the upgraded parts will not be available until May. Nissan's solution is to "turn" the rotors and replace the pads as often as necessary until the parts are available. Nissan has extended this to 36 months and unlimited mileage. Nice try, but takein the vehicle in for repairs is an inconvenience. Additionally, this is unacceptable, since reducing the metal on the rotor will also reduce its ability to dissipate heat and exacerbate the issue. A recall has been rumored, but until a final solution is available, Nissan is fixing the brakes inadequately. However, other than this problem which should be fixed soon, I love this vehicle. I have 25K miles in six months and it performs like a champ.

Back to Top View shyster's Profile Search for other posts by shyster

dontbuytitan04

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 01 2005 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote dontbuytitan04

scooter wrote:

GOOD NEWS! I won my arbitration hearing against Nissan. As of today they have to repurchase my truck. It has been a long hard road but it's finally over. It's just a shame because Nissan is still trying to say that the trucks are safe and that the brake problem isn't a safety issue. I wish all you guys the best with your trucks. If anyone ever has to go to arbitration against Nissan, my advice is... over prepare for your case and gather as much info as possible. It still kills me because I loved my truck and it will still be sad to se it go or at least until I get that new G35 coupe in my garage. I think I'll get over it pretty quick. Good luck!

Scooter

What did you end up doing with all your addons. I am also working on a lemon law claim.

scooter
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 01 2005 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote scooter

I sold the K&N Intake and the bed cover on Ebay and basically got screwed on the exhaust , the chrome wheels and the carbon fiber dash kit. I kept the tiedown cleats, bed tray, bed divider and tailgate extender. They are for sale (CHEAP) if anybody is interested. Good luck with the Lemon Law case.

tweety

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 03 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote tweety

Had the machine in Saturday for a "shimmy" that I thought for sure was just a wheel out of balance. Nope....got the rotors turned instead. We have had this thing for only 2 weeks and it has less than 2000 miles on it.

How sad.

Back to Top View tweety's Profile Search for other posts by tweety

shogun_316

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 03 2005 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote shogun_316

Isn't it funny that they will do the real repair on the third try.  That's how many times they have to repair the same problem before most lemon laws kick in.  I my opinion, that's a bunch of BS.  At leat they told tda3 upfront that they are just doing what they are told to do.  It sound like his service dept thinks its a crock too.  I think after the first time, everyone should demand a loaner vehicle since it is a known problem and only a temporary fix.  This model has been out for a year, lack of parts is a crock of s**t, no matter what manufacturer you are talking about.  I bet Nissan knew about the brakes months ago through their own long term tests.

Back to Top View shogun_316's Profile Search for other posts by shogun_316

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 05 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote tda3

The part about this that just makes me shake my head is the damage this does not only to the reputation of the Titan/Nissan, but also to those industry folks that have touted the Titan.  You know, like Trailer Boats magazine that voted it Tow Vehicle Of The Year.  Duh - towing also involves STOPPING that big ass load.  Hell-LOW???

Sorry guys, I'm just venting my frustration here.

Anyhow, one would think that Nissan would be busting their ass to make this right.  For in the long run they come out looking like the hero.  But the way they're going about this brake thing is gonna cost them in more ways than just dollars.

Tom 

TitanNick

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Apr 05 2005 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote TitanNick

At 15K the replaced rotor and pads, now at 26K its shaking like a polaroid picture. The dealer just told me to keep on driving until they get new brake parts from nissan. Anyone know what is going on? Is there a plan to resolve this issue or they just have so meny brake issues that they ran out of parts?
Back to Top View TitanNick's Profile Search for other posts by TitanNick

<< Prev Page of 26 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version