Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Brake pads Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
titanmike

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 17 2004 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote titanmike

I actually already got the first service.  I did it around 2700. 
Back to Top View titanmike's Profile Search for other posts by titanmike

TexasTitan

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Feb 18 2004 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote TexasTitan

What happened about the brakes
Back to Top View TexasTitan's Profile Search for other posts by TexasTitan

jespo

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 20 2004 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote jespo

I think it's because of the bosch brakes. I notice the same issue on BMW's and VW's. i'm sure there is plenty of pad to make them last the standard length. I always thought that was a trait of real good brakes.
Back to Top View jespo's Profile Search for other posts by jespo

lawabidn

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 22 2004 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote lawabidn

CaliforniaTitan wrote:

Fronts: $86

Rear: $64

LOL, have you guys seen the size of our brakes??!?!  Not to mention the stopping distance tests?  I think $86 bucks is super cheap for the performance (granted, I'm used to buying race pads at $160-180)

As far as the brake dust,

A. The pads are new, so they have to break in properly, so they will create more dust than later on in the pads life

B. Pads are cheaper than rotors, Nissan finally figured that out.... so I'm sure the pads are softer in compound (working with nissans for quite some time, pathfinders and maximas are notorious rotor warpers, sometimes with only 5-7k on them)

But in all seriousness, these are some of the best vehicles out on the market today.  The parts arent going to cost the same as a mid 80s F150 (17 bucks for front pads!) because they are better.  Just to keep in mind, for the same price as our Titans.... you could have purchased a cheap new 3 series and replaced the front pads at $150 set minim

My apologies on the rant...  Just saw the gasps on the price of our pads.  Remember, you can always get them at near employee costs at a Dealership called Courtesy Nissan online.  I think its near DC.

Corey

PairoJugs
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 25 2004 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote PairoJugs

http://www.courtesyparts.com/titan/maintenance.html

Looks like good prices!  Good enough to stock up on even.

Back to Top View PairoJugs's Profile Search for other posts by PairoJugs

Dudis

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 03 2004 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Dudis

I have a white 4x4 SE king cab that I have owned for just over a month.  I have put about 3000mi on and I am getting a TON of brake dust off the pads, and I baby the rig.  I have noticed that it doesn't stop smoothly when applying pressure on the brakes, but jerks a little as it slows down.  I am having it looked at by the dealer for the second time.  We'll see how it goes... 

Back to Top View Dudis's Profile Search for other posts by Dudis

bobs titan

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 17 2004 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote bobs titan

the brake dust forming is minor, I would like to see a more progressive feel to the pedal. this is a mighty titan not a wimp truck.
Back to Top View bobs titan's Profile Search for other posts by bobs titan

cauerbach

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Apr 01 2004 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote cauerbach

Insider News!!!!! Ceramic Pads are on the way. They are in QC testing right now from Raybestos. I will keep you posted.
Back to Top View cauerbach's Profile Search for other posts by cauerbach

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 10 2004 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote tda3

First time post here.  Picked up a Titan LE Crew Cab in Red Brawn with sand/grey leather interior a couple of weeks ago.  We've got almost 1000 miles on it now.  It was between this truck and the new F150.  Boy - are we glad we didn't buy the F150.  We absolutely love this truck.  WOW!    Anyhow....

Thanks cauerbach.  I checked the Raybestos site and didn't find any product listing for the Titan.  I'm sure as time goes on the aftermarket folks will catch up and offer pad material compound options for our most wonderful truck.

As for the comments about the soft pad material being a compromise trade-off for not warping rotors...I'm sorry, but I just can't buy into that.  There are many disc brake rotors out  there that see just as severe a duty as what the Titan will see and don't warp.  Additionally, these rotors are being clamped by pads with friction material that doesn't leave the amount of brake dust the stock pads are depositing.  Enough research in material science will yield a rotor material that won't warp when using harder, if you will, pad material.

And one last thing about that brake dust.  When mixed with water, the chemicals in that dust become rather caustic.  You may not see the effects now or even in a year or so, but it will eventually eat through the overcoat on the rims.  And once it gets to the exposed aluminum, Katie bar the door.  Just look at some older BMW and MB rims where folks haven't been diligent about keeping the dust off.  They're pitted something fierce and look like crap.  That's unacceptable to me. 

Back to Top View tda3's Profile Search for other posts by tda3

Maxhawk

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 11 2004 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Maxhawk

In my experience, all the high performance brake pads seem to generate a lot of dust.  I use Pagid Orange pads for the track and a week of street driving will turn my wheels almost black.  I do believe that good stopping power becomes a compromise between wearing pad material versus the rotors. 

I've no complaints with the brake dust since the Titan brakes work so well.  Perhaps someone will come out with stainless brake lines to reduce some of the initial pedal softness.

Back to Top View Maxhawk's Profile Search for other posts by Maxhawk

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version