Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

TSB - Technical Bulletins
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical : TSB - Technical Bulletins
Subject Topic: Engine shutter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bimmerman

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote Bimmerman

I have a 05 Titan LE and I have a problem.  It is hard to describe on paper and it doesn't happen all the time.  If the truck is idling , sometimes the engine shutters like it's missing on 1 or 2 cylinders.  If you press the gas just a little You could really notice the shuterring.  It shakes the whole truck.  But get this, if you go past like 1000 rpm it stops and it runs fine.  Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time.  I took it to the dealer and they stated since the tuck is only city driven the spark plugs are carboning up and causing it to miss fire.  They stated they took it on the highway and it didn't do it anymore.  However, a few days later it started again.  I am a backyard mechanic and that response doesn't sound right with todays technology.  Maybe when the cars had carbs, they may carbon up but not fuel injections these days. I thought maybe a got a bad tank of gas but I filled it up and still does it.  I'm planning to take it back to the dealer but wondering if anyone else had this problem and what was the fix.  I'm thinking maybe a cracked spark plug conductor or a bad fuel injector.  Just gussing.  And no, it's not throwing a code.  Please help.
Back to Top View Bimmerman's Profile Search for other posts by Bimmerman

Gunner22

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Gunner22

This sounds very similar to what I went through with our family car.   At idle it pretty much rocked the car and if you try to drive it the car  jumps all over from the misfire.   After a few minutes it will stop and run fine.  The dealer first said it was carbon and the injectors needed cleaning, but that only helped for about a month.  It turned out to be a bad injector on cylinder 6 and had to be replaced.  It was a steep price to fix, but the new injector came with a lifetime guarantee.  I know that this isnt my titan that had the problem but the characteristics you mentioned were dead on to what our car was doing.  Good luck with the fix and I hope it is just a bad spark plug. 
Back to Top View Gunner22's Profile Search for other posts by Gunner22

crundell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote crundell

Bimmerman,

My 04 Titan does exactly the same thing yours does, usually when I'm sitting, idling at "Sonic Restaurant" or something like that,,,,,usually an extended idle type of situation,,,not usually during short stops at stop signs and such.  I'd guess it happens at least once a week or so.  No, I have no idea whats going on yet.  I'm getting pretty close to needing to replace plugs, so I'll definitely try to verify whether this stops my problem.

Good Luck.

Back to Top View crundell's Profile Search for other posts by crundell

Bimmerman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 08 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Bimmerman

Well, I have some news about my shuttering problem.  I took it back again to my dealership and this time I had a mechanic ride with me.  I took it on the freeway and than drove to my house.  I drove the truck on my driveway and the engine was shuttering.  The mechanic was surprised to how much it was shaking.  He asked me to back up to the street again and guess what?  It stopped, no shuttering.  I drove back up and it started again.  He took it back to the shop and he tested the truck and he was stumped.  The truck will only shutter when the nose is up.  He called the tech people and they haven't heard that problem before.  They stated that he replace the fuel pump since they had issues with it before.  They replaced the pump but it didn't fix the problem.  Now they are discussing with the tech people and engineers.  The truck is back in to replace the torque converter.  Hopefully that will solve the problem.  It's weird how it only does it when the nose is up.  It doesn't do it if the nose is down or the truck is angled sideways.  I will keep you informed on the fix.

Back to Top View Bimmerman's Profile Search for other posts by Bimmerman

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version