Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Mobile Audio / Electronics
 Nissan Titan Forums : Mobile Audio / Electronics
Subject Topic: SAT ready or not? Conflicting info Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
scubachad

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 04 2005 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote scubachad

I have the 2004 LE CC 4X4 with the RF sound and DVD.  No navigation.  I want to get Sirius satellite installed, but have heard so many problems with FM modulation, and the AUX input.  Also, I would rather not have extra equipment sticking out of my dash.  I bought my Titan in Jan 2004, so it was one of the first ones off the line.  There is no XM sticker.  There is no "SAT" button.

With that said, the TSB 04119 says all Titan's with the 6 disk changers are satellite wired.  (see http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/ NTB04-119.htm)  Chart A.  If this is true, I should be SAT ready.  Is there anyway to tell for sure?  Is there a wiring harness that will prove it is or is not SAT ready?  It also says the Sirius receiver is available for the Titan (see same TSB, next chart titled "Parts information").  The dealer says no SAT button, no XM sticker, not SAT ready.  I don't believe it, or don't want to believe it.

HELP!

Back to Top View scubachad's Profile Search for other posts by scubachad

BuyDell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 04 2005 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote BuyDell

Great question Scubachad !!!!!

I'm in the same boat you are !!!!!!!!!

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 04 2005 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

scubachad wrote:

I have the 2004 LE CC 4X4 with the RF sound and DVD.  No navigation.  I want to get Sirius satellite installed, but have heard so many problems with FM modulation, and the AUX input. ..... The dealer says no SAT button, no XM sticker, not SAT ready....

I understand you said you didnt want anything sticking out of the dash, but I have my Sirius receiver mounted on the dash where the navigation would have gone. I think it looks OK there myself, but is just my opinion. As for the problems with FM modulation and AUX input; I agree that the FM modulator option isnt that great...others may not have had problems, but my parents did with theirs. And you are limited to the sensitivity of the tuner...I went with using the AUX input. They ran the cable down thru the dash and back out right beneath the input jack for a clean install. The only issue I have read about using this method is the volume being lower. Here again, not a big deal to me, as I hardly ever listen to anything but Sirius, and it is a simple issue to turn the volume up from 15 to 20 or visa-vera....check the photo gallery if you want to see pics of my install...GL 

scubachad

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 04 2005 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote scubachad

I spoke with the dealer again today and pointed them to the TSB.  They looked at it and said "Huh.  Looks like it should be SAT wired.  No guarantees..."

I also spoke with my brother who is the manager for a high-end car audio store in NJ.  One of his stores did install satellite into a Titan.  He said the conenction to the pre-wiring is a white connection under the driver's side dash above the break.  Not the computer connection (large white connection in a cutout under the steering wheel in the dash.

I looked and there is a strayconnection that is not being used.  I don't know enough about the connection, but it looks like it may be the pre-wiring for the satellite.  I just called Nissan and they said the truck is pre-wired for satellite.  YEAH!!!   They just made me a happy camper.

If you want to find out for sure, you can call Nissan directly and give them your VIN.  I think all 6 disk changers are wired.  The number is 800-NISSAN-1 or 800-647-7261.  I did option 7, 4 to talk to a customer support rep.

Let's get Sirius!

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 04 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

Cool !! It appears it is goin to work out for you...thx for the info...keep on truckin

scubachad

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 05 2005 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote scubachad

Here is some information on the pre-wiring for the Titan:

There is a wire under the dash above the break pedal - just peek up there and you can see it.  No need to take the dash apart.  This cable is the Nissan N-bus cable to conenct to the factory XM or Sirius receivers.  N-bus is a proprietary connection for Nissan.  Even though Clarion makes the head unit, Clarion retail products use the Clarion proprietary CeNet connection.  Purely a money maker.  There is some talk about these being relatively close in protocol standard, but nothing final yet.

Here is the rest of the information I sent to another member.  I figured it would be good to post for everyone to see.

There is a picture of the wire shown here:

http://members.rogers.com/muran0/Main.htm

This is for the Murano, but the same N-bus cable is used for the Titan.  Click on "SAT compatible" in the left frame.  The picture is the 3rd image down.  Direct link:

http://members.rogers.com/muran0/images/XMSAT%20Harness.jpg

There is also some VERY good instructions to install the receiver at:

http://images.blue32.com/pics/Titan.pdf

This PDF shows a picture of the connector under the dash.  It is partially hidden by the wire, but it is the white connector center, lower, left of Figure 1.

Search e-bay completed listings for "Nissan Sirius" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ; ;rd=1&item=7942365672&category=38645&sspagename= WDVW

This is the listing for the OEM receiver.  There are instructions in the listing on how to install in several Nissan vehicles.  The instructions talk about installing XM, but the receiver is the same for Sirius.  If you look at the other links in the e-bay auction, the Armada installation shows the Sirius receiver.

I have tried to find information about converting the Nissan N-bus connection (Factory connection - pre-wiring) to the Clarion CeNet connection (connection to the Clarion Sirius SIRCL1 receiver).  No luck.  There is a group working on the hack @ http://www.nissanmurano.org/.  The big question:  Is the Clarion CeNet and Nissan N-bus different protocols?  If not, someone needs to make an adaptor between the two. 

There are several hacks out there for conencting aftermarket audio to the head unit, but none of them allow the steering controls to control the Sirius receiver nor does it display the text from the receiver.  Only the factory receiver will do that.  A quick search of online nissan parts dealers reveals the receiver priced at about $250 + antenna.  I guess that is OK given the Sporster will cost $150 and then you have to rip out your dash to make it look cleaner than just wires connected into the power adaptor and AUX input.  Also the sound is not as good with the AUX input or the FM modulator.  So overall, the $300 to make it seemless and sound better is not a bad price. 

I'm going with the factory receiver - just trying to find the best price on it.  I will probably get the antenna from Crutchfield or some other source so I don't ge tthe big bulky one that the factory supplies in the full Sirius kit.

Hope that helps.

Chad

DVD Entertainment
Aftermarket tow bar

BuyDell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 05 2005 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote BuyDell

Your right Dude!!!!

I looked under there today and it's there!!! That's the good news for those of you that can hookup to that type of connector. Unfortunately, I have a Roady2 and it only has Ant, Audio Out...etc....

I'll let you know how I do....tommorrow I am going to look for audio input on that connector. It's got to be one of those pins......

I can take pic of the connector under the dash and post if it help anyone.....

I'll keep everyone posted of my results..............

scubachad

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 06 2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote scubachad

Hey Dell,

Not sure if you are aware of how a "bus" works.  This Nbus connection is not a hardwired conenction that you are thinking about.  It is not a stereo input like a home receiver.  This bus is a shared channel for all audio sources in the vehicle.  The head unit controls the bus by telling the devices who is allowed to talk now.  All other devices are supposed to be quiet when the primary one talks.

When you push CD, the head unit tells the receiver through an interface line "Get ready, I need you".  The CD responds back, "OK".  Head unit says "start sending", and the data starts flowing from the CD - through the bus - to all devices.  All other devices (Aux, DVD, FM) are to be quiet since they are all using the same shared line.

If you find the data line, you can send at will on it, but the receiver will hear two devices at once since you have no way of telling the head unit you want to be the main device.  That is the basis of the NBus communications.  There is a protocol that needs to be followed to work with the head unit - like talking a foreign language.  If the two devices don't spean the same language, there is no communications.  So you can't just plug into the data port and have it work.  (For those of you that know more than me about this, feel free to elaborate, but for this simple explaination, I think it works).

There is a device that may "talk" the Titan language of Nbus - called PAC AAI-NIS (see http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm).  It is desinged to add AUX equipment to the Nbus connection.  It is designed for the Nissan Bose radios, but I think it is just the NBus and may work.  For those of you with the AUX low volume problem, you can add the Turbo1 to the PAC and boost the volume.  See http://www.pac-audio.com/faqs/aainis.htm

DVD Entertainment
Aftermarket tow bar

BuyDell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 06 2005 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote BuyDell

Thanks scubachad !!!

Boy, nothin is freakin simple anymore is it !!!!!

To be honest with you, I think it might be easier to build the audio preamp someone had posted somewhere on this site!!

See, all I have from the Roady2 is audio out on a stereo miniplug. I DON'T have ANYTHING like the modular plug that I would need for this....ALL I REALLY NEED is to amplify the audio out of the Roady2 INTO the AUX.

BuyDell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 06 2005 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote BuyDell

I think I got what I need!!!! Check this out

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&am p;category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=33%2D1109&site=searc h

Hey it's kinda chrome magnum, but if it works, I'll probably tap the voltage from the truck somewhere to eliminate the batteries. Hey, for the price, it's worth a try....

I'll keep you posted !!!!

Richard

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version